Sunday, May 25, 2014

From Ohio to South Carolina: The first week on my own


“I will be brave…one step closer.” As I sit down by myself in my room in Charleston these are the lyrics from Christina Perri I hear being emitted from my laptop. These are the words I have to remind myself every day that I’m in this new, unfamiliar place.

Charleston is a beautiful, fascinating city. I’ve already learned so much about its culture and history. The food is phenomenal and the views are breathtaking. I’m really living in a vacation spot.

The question, “Do you miss home?” has crossed my mind quite a few times in the last week since I’ve been here. I don’t miss Ohio. What I miss are all the people. Moving to a new place over 12 hours away from home can be isolating. I went from knowing half of campus, living within five minutes of friends and in the same state as most of my family to essentially being alone.

If you know me at all, you know I’m a social butterfly and strive on social interaction. Not being in that environment has been extremely difficult.

But I know that will pass. Since I’ve left home, I’ve (slowly) been reading Tuesday’s with Morrie. At one point in the book the author says this about loneliness, “You let it go, let the tears flow, feel it completely—but eventually be able to say, ‘All right, that was my moment with loneliness. I’m not afraid of feeling lonely, but now I’m going to put that loneliness aside and know that there are other emotions in the world, and I’m going to experience them as well.”’

This is my moment of loneliness. There is a time of adjustment with any type of move you go through. Mine just so happens to be with where I’m living, my job, my roommates and culture in general all at once.

Yes, moving to a new, unfamiliar place is hard. Feeling like you don’t have many friends in that place is harder. But do you know what would be the hardest? Regret. If I had not taken the opportunity to move across country and decided to stay in Ohio (where I’ve been my whole life), I know I would have regretted that decision forever.





But loneliness, I know it’s not forever. It will pass. What won’t pass is how proud I am for moving so far away from home and familiarity.

Thankfully, I have an amazing support system from friends and family back home. They have encouraged me to do my best and to remember that they're always proud of me. I couldn't have asked for anything else from the most important people in my life.

I know this move will teach me so much about myself. I’m still remaining optimistic and enjoying this Kingdom by the Sea (ß Edgar Allan Poe reference for all you literature buffs!)

“I will be brave…one step closer,” to following an adventurous path and enjoying my 20s.

Until next time, stay classy my fellow bloggers.

Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment