Monday, June 23, 2014

Eight Ways Charleston Has Changed Me




It has been a little over a month since I’ve moved to Charleston and let me tell you, it has definitely been a whirlwind experience! I’ve had to essentially start my life over and become accustomed to a place so far away from home. Hands down, Charleston has changed my life already. Here are few differences from the Candace in Ohio and the Candace in South Carolina:

I like beer
Maybe it’s because I’m no longer drinking Natty Ice or Busch Light like I did in college. I use to never touch beer if it wasn’t necessary. Now, beer is one of my go-to drinks on a night out. I’ve really started to acquire a taste for Allagash. Sure, my ultimate go-to is still Captain and Coke, but my taste buds sure have expanded!

I’ve gone swimming in the ocean 
For those of you who really know me, you understand how big of a deal this is! Yes, I’m still nervous walking into the ocean and I have to be with someone, but still. I’m putting myself right into the fish environment! Big deal, folks.

I go kickboxing six days a week
Yes. Kickboxing. I LOVE going to the gym every day! It honestly is one of the things I look forward to the most. There’s something about kicking and punching a boxing bag that makes me feel extremely in tune with my body. Oh, and the trainers are all awesome. They know me by name now! So if you look in my trunk, you’ll see my gloves and hand wraps.

I take protein
Who would have thought I would be into nutrition like this? Not me! But, I decided I needed to take better care of my body than I did when I was in college. I did a doozy on it with all the alcohol and fast food for four years. There needed to be a change. So that's what I did! I have yet to eat any and all types of fast food since I’ve moved to Charleston. Why waste money and your appetite on that when you can eat at world-class restaurants? Not me!

One of my favorite Pandora stations is Luke Bryan
So this means I like country music now. Whoa. BIG change here! I’m actually listening to it right now. How can you not listen to country music in the South? But, really. I’ve found it to be relaxing. But don’t be fooled, Justin Timberlake will forever and always be my man and favorite artist. I probably listen to his radio station more than any other. Regardless, I now have a country music station set on my radio in my car!

I like tea
I’ve drank more tea in the last month than in the last year. You know me, no coffee, tea, pop, anything like that. I’ve never been a fan. But magically I became a tea advocate after moving here- weird!

I’m not as much in a rush as I was before
You know the stereotype, people up North are always in a rush. Yes, I still am like that most of the time, but when I don’t have to be somewhere at a specific time I take my time and enjoy the car ride and music.

I only wear makeup or do my hair maybe two days out of the week-usually on the weekends
OK, maybe this isn’t that much different than in college. But, with going to the gym every day and the humidity, it would be a waste of time (and makeup/hair products) to get ready every day. You can usually find me in workout clothes and gym shoes. Hands down the most comfortable type of clothing!

Don’t get me wrong, I still like to veg out and watch Netflix for hours, watch movies and eat out, it’s just different than when I was back home.

Yes, I'm a beach rat
People have asked me if I miss Ohio. And do I? No, absolutely not. But what I do miss are all the people. If I could uproot all my friends and family and move them down here, my life would be set. I know that’s not the case, though. That’s why I call my family every week and have multiple FaceTime sessions and texting conversations with my best friends. They are still unbelievably supportive of my decision. I really could not have asked for a better bunch to call my family and friends. They’re the reason I have been able to start my life here.

Oh, and I joined the Charleston Young Professionals club (funny because I interned with the Columbus Young Professionals club last summer!) and met a friend. It feels so great knowing others are new to Charleston just like me! I have finally began to start my life here. I can even get most places without a GPS anymore...and to me that's a big accomplishment! 

Call me selfish, but this move to South Carolina has been the best decision of my life.


2 comments:

  1. Candace, I'm so happy you're in love with Charleston! We miss you like crazy here in Ohio, but I understand how amazing and fun Charleston is, especially when you get much warmer weather! Come visit us soon, but keep enjoying every second of your time in the south. It looks like it's really changing you, but I don't see anything negative about these new experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candace, I know you don't know me but I feel as if I must tell you I like beer now too. Its weird I used to only drink anything hard, or anything mixed with Absolut but I've learned beer is good. My 85 year old great grandmother says she loves beer too and she learned to drink it at the age of 14.

    ReplyDelete