Monday, April 28, 2014

The Face-To-Face Book Analysis: Are Keller and Fay Accurate or Missing the Mark?



So I’ve finished reading The Face-to-Face Book and I have a handful of comments about the contents. I don’t think I have written so many comments in the margins of another book like I did with this one. You can flip through the pages and see blue, orange and pink lining every page. With that being said, I’ll dive into my analysis.

What I did not like about the book-
I could go into detail about specific details I did not agree with, but overall, they all fall under the same category, inconsistency. The authors of the book, Ed Keller and Brad Fay, did not stick to their stances throughout the book. To begin, Keller and Fay said word-of-mouth communication was the absolute best way to communicate and any form of Internet communication was not adequate. However, as you read deeper into the pages, they change their views to say the Internet is OK, but social media is inadequate. It is clear that Keller and Fay do not agree with the use of social media as marketing techniques. While touching upon the benefits of social media, the authors make comments about social media advocates focusing only on their practice and not traditional media. This is not the case. My minor is social media, but I know all forms of communication (whether it be traditional or social) need to be taken into consideration. I felt as if the authors were condescending to social media advocates throughout the book.

What I did like about the book-
Although I did not agree with much of the content, I did like how fired up the book made me. Like I said before, I wrote a ridiculous amount of notes in the margins. Reading the book brought out my passion for public relations and everything that I’m studying. It made me think critically and look at different scenarios from another perspective. Which leads me into my next section…Why did Dr. Agozzino make the class read this book?

The answer, in my opinion, is simple. We read this book to learn a different perspective about marketing, the Internet, social media and communication. I’ve read numerous books about the benefits of Web 2.0 and using technology to communicate. However, I have not focused on the views of others who are not on the new technology bandwagon. This book was great to read right before graduation! I may work under a person who does not like social media practices and uses more traditional media. Because of this book, I have a better understanding of their point-of-view. I now can explain more accurately why all forms of media should be considered when dealing with a client or project.

Even though the views of Keller and Fay are not consistent with my views, one clear theme is evident in the book. That theme is building relationships. In the end, whether you use traditional or social media, our goal is to create those relationships with customers, consumers, target publics, ect. In Branded, I learned that Best Buy uses social media and Web 2.0 to answer any questions customers may have about products. This creates two-way communication and encourages trust between Best Buy and customers. Starbucks uses online media to garner and implement customer recommendations creating a user-friendlier atmosphere. However, Apple does not use social media to create great customer service. They drive customers to physically visit stores and try out products.

Relationships can be built via traditional and social media. What needs to be considered is what is most beneficial for the customer. Fay and Keller do not touch upon this point in the book. I know the importance of this and so do other professionals. I would have liked to see the authors touch base upon this subject rather than blasting the use of social media so vigorously.

This book should be kept on the reading list for Digital Branding. Yes, it’s great to hear about how wonderful social media and Web 2.0 is for marketing, public relations and social media, but I also have to be realistic. I have to understand not everyone will agree with my opinions. As stated earlier, it is imperative to understand the other side of the story and differencing opinions.

Until next time, stay classy my fellow bloggers.

Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment