Thursday, December 5, 2013

"Your Minor Means You Just Learn How To Tweet, Right?" Wrong


Some of my family and friends don't really understand what public relations is and what I’m studying. I’ve tried countless times to explain what it is, but if you’re not in the industry (or a similar one), the process can be hard to wrap your head around. I'm sure anyone else in my shoes has experienced this same thing!

That’s OK! It gives me the opportunity to go over projects I’m working on and classes I’m taking. However, what bothers me is when I tell people my minor is social media and they look at me with a degrading or condescending look. They are under the impression I’m only learning how to use Facebook and Twitter. Guess what, I already know how to utilize social media outlets just like a majority of the population!

A (small) part of me wants to let them continue to bask in their oblivious preconceived notions, but for the most part I want to explain what my minor entails. The epilogue of Katie Paine’s book Measure What Matters lays out the importance of social media in a brief, easy to understand fashion.

To begin, counting impressions (likes, shares, favorites) isn’t cutting it anymore. Again, some people believe that that’s all that “counts” (get it?) when measuring the success of social media. I know I’ve said this time and time again (rightfully so, too), but analyzing the depth and meaning of relationships is what needs to be measured. Check out the definition of PR here. Social media provides organizations, businesses, corporations, etc., ways to directly interact with thousands of key audience members. Utilizing these tools is just another way PR professionals can adhere to the definition of PR.

Just the other day I tweeted about my frustration that Chipotle doesn't have a location by my hometown. Within minutes, a representative replied asking where the closest location was to me. They then expressed the hope that the restaurant chain can build a location closer to the area. That small gesture made me feel as if I was heard. It made me feel important. I’m an even bigger advocate for Chipotle now than I was a week ago..which I didn’t think was possible! See, direct interaction with target audience members is very good for reputation!


Anyways, even within the PR world there are professionals who don’t understand the value social media provides. Yes, measurement is important, but you have to explain WHY the data you’ve found is so vital to the business. “If PR pros must use measurement to justify their existence and not to answer the question “So what?” measurement will die a long, slow and painful death in their organization,” (p. 220).

I was speaking with my mentor, Bruce Hammond, the other day regarding what I should expect once I graduate college and dive into the profession. He said, “I’d also tell you to be prepared for the fact that companies are getting more and more data-driven today. That means, if you can’t quantify it, you can’t justify it.” Straight from a PR professional’s mouth: What you’re measuring and HOW it is vital to the company you’re working for is extremely important.

You’re in college right now learning new skills. Take advantage of your resources! “Universities are already turning out communications professionals who understand correlations and the math and theory behind web analytics,” (p. 221). So go out there, understand analytics and measurement and blow your boss and co-workers away! Northern is providing you with a sound, top-of-the-notch education. So be selfish and soak up every bit of knowledge you can.

I hope this clears up the stereotype of the social media minor. If it doesn’t and you’re still doubtful and weary of it, come to me and I’ll be more than happy to have a conversation! I would enjoy to sit down and further explain (in more detail) the ins and outs of the classes I'm taking for my minor and what this area of PR really entails.

Until next time, stay classy my fellow bloggers.

Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment