Tuesday, December 17, 2013

"I Have The Hardest Major"...Oh, Really?


*Disclaimer: I apologize for the length, but it all wraps up at the end! So please continue reading!

I’m sure any college student can relate to me when I say we’ve all heard people say, “My major is harder than yours,” or “I work harder than you.” Regardless of the university, these people always seem to creep up and add their (most of the time) unwanted opinion.

As a public relations major, I hear these types of statements quite frequently. Maybe it’s arrogance or a lack of understanding on behalf of those who are guilty of these allegations. Nevertheless, I think it is wrong for anyone to have the preconceived notion that his or her life/schoolwork/work load is more difficult or daunting than another person’s.

To the people who believe their life is so hard: You have no idea what other people are going through in their personal or academic lives. You don’t walk in their shoes every day. You may only see someone enjoying time with friends, but never see the countless hours they spend writing papers, studying for that big test or perfecting an important presentation.

To all you pharmacy students, I’m sure you don’t like being told you just “push pills around or fill prescriptions.” I’m not naïve enough to think that, but some people are. Or theatre/performing majors, I've heard people say you 'just' perform. I'm in Freed a lot, and so are you! I know you spend many hours rehearsing and everything else. But, just like you, I don’t like stereotypes, especially the one that PR professionals “only talk to people or tweet.”

I’ll be the first to say my major is difficult. It challenges me in so many different ways. I’ve spent numerous hours staring at the computer screens in the PAC Lab figuring out goals, objectives, strategies and tactics of various campaigns. I’ve had to research and understand the culture of different countries in order to create an integrated marketing communication plan for a target audience. I can’t leave out all the writing. I write every single day. Have I had mental breakdowns because I’m so stressed? You bet I have.

But guess what? I love the field I’ve decided to pursue. I cannot imagine studying anything other than PR right now. I’m not in it for the money (because we all know PR isn’t usually a ‘high paying’ occupation.) I’m studying PR because I thoroughly enjoy the idea of creating and maintaining those mutually beneficial relationships and the endless opportunities the field presents.

Through the program at Northern, I’ve had the opportunity to travel across the country, present research and I’m on my way to being published. Those are a few of the highlights of my career at ONU, but as you can see I have a passion for what I’m studying.

I have friends who are in other departments and let me tell you, I don’t know how they accomplish everything! Take nursing (or any other healthcare profession) for instance. They have to work with patients who are (sometimes) in a life or death situation. Not to mention, they have to understand every detail of the ridiculously complicated human body.

Or teaching. Kudos to all the teachers (or future teachers) out there. I give you props for working with children every day. I’ve tried babysitting for a few hours and get impatient easily. It obviously isn’t for me!

Don’t let me get started on engineering. I’ve listened to conversations about mechanical, electrical, civil and computer engineering and am lost after the first few sentences.

I can’t leave out my (semi) counter partners: The business college. You have to pitch to real clients and create business plans like it’s your job (which it will be soon!)

I would love to touch base upon all the different majors, but I want to keep this blog a reasonable length!

What I’m trying to say is this: Everyone has a certain field they’re meant to be in. What may be easy for some (like studying) may not be easy for others. What may be difficult for certain people (like cranking out a 15 page paper) may come naturally to others.

For example, I like seeing the work I’ve spent hours on completed. I would rather write a paper or create a campaign than memorize and regurgitate information for a test. Let’s be honest, I’m a horrible test taker! I’d rather show what I can do and what I’ve learned than prove what I know by taking an exam.

So if you’re constantly complaining about how much you hate studying or writing those papers, maybe you’re not in the right place. Maybe you should reevaluate where you truly want to be in life. Make yourself happy now by choosing to study a field you’re passionate about and don’t dread waking up to every day.

A complaining tweet or comment every now and then is OK. But if you’re constantly complaining, please reconsider what you’re doing with your life.

I understand not everyone will agree with me on this topic, and that's OK! Regardless, here's my take on the situation.

But, to the people who are narcissistic enough to think your life is so hard, take a step back and realize everyone faces challenges within their academic and personal lives.

Until next time, stay classy my fellow bloggers.

Candace


Oh, and if you're at all interested, here are some links of different lists of: “The most stressful occupations.”

5 comments:

  1. Candace, this was very well put! I agree, I get tired of people saying similar things to me as a marketing major. I cannot even begin to count the amount of times someone has asked me, "What are you going to do with that?" However, watching their face change from disapproval to astonishment is the icing on the cake when I list the numerous options I have as a marketing major. I am very happy with my career path and I'm glad you are as well. Thanks for taking the time to write this blog; it is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candace, I'm really glad you posted this. It's crazy to me how much people will judge, be jealous of, and criticize someone else's major especially when finals come around. I have had so many people angrily walk away from a conversation with me when I say majority of my classes had projects and I only have two finals to take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the input Courtney and Kaila! But I agree, Courtney, seeing the looks on people's faces when they realize the opportunities our field offer is great! I honestly think some just don't understand the depth of our majors. It's up to us to educate those people.

    And Kaila- It's astounding how people act towards others! Some will always believe "the grass is greener on the other side." Well, if spending hours upon hours on projects and papers is greener, then I guess they're right! Our finals week aren't similar to other's finals week because our majors/departments are completely different!

    ReplyDelete
  4. But communication is so easy! lol
    I believe George Bernard Shaw once said, and I paraphrase, "The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place." In all of my years teaching. one thing that I have learned is that all majors, professions, etc. have their difficulties. Those who complain now will eventually learn this truth. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Then why do different majors and occupations have different average salaries? Saying the load should feel lighter if it's your calling is one thing, but by this logic everyone should receive the same monetary compensations since everyone's job is "comparably difficult". Also, I don't think job prevalence/ opportunity correlates to career difficulty. Maybe even the opposite. For example, truck drivers are one of the most in demand occupations and require only technical school. I agree with you that no one should boast a more difficult life (especially pharmacy majors, yuck!). But I sure hope someone giving me anesthesia before surgery had a more difficult career path than the manager of a Krispy Kreme.

    ReplyDelete