Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Face-to-Face Book: It's Social

As I was opening up The Face-to-Face Book, I expecting the standard, "Social media is blossoming and everyone is taking part of the phenomena," like I've been reading in other books recently. However, within the first few pages of Chapter 1, I realized I was wrong. This book started off by clearly stating that social media doesn't influence people, people influence people. I had only read to page four when the words "Good marketing starts conversations," stuck out to me. I automatically thought of the controversial Go Daddy commercial from the 2013 Super Bowl. I've included the video below if you don't remember it clearly.


Anyways, people were all over Twitter ranting and raving about this commercial. It prompted conversations about the brand and content. It's up to personal opinion whether or not the Go Daddy commercial was good or bad, but you can't deny that it was effective, it got people talking.


Another difference I've noticed with this book is that Ed Keller and Brad Fay (the authors) continually write "'social' is not about technology," (p. 14). They state that only a small percentage of word-of-mouth communication facilitates online. The majority of conversations, according to Keller and Fay, occur face-to-face, over the phone and online.

This fact struck me as odd. Now-a-days, everyone is glued to their phones, computers, tablets and every other form of technology. We communicate via social media, texting and different apps. I am interested to see how this fact will be supported throughout the book.

Keller and Fay also pose the question: "How well does the online conversation about brands represent the offline conversation?" (p. 19). This question made me wonder if how I speak in person is different than how I compose myself online. In my opinion, it all depends on the situation and medium. For instance, I talk more casually in a room of friends and via Twitter. However, if I am speaking to a potential student in admissions or conversing with someone via LinkedIn, I will be more professional and proper.

The Face-to-Face Book has sparked some questions in my mind already. I'm hoping throughout the rest of the book my questions are answered.

Until next time, stay classy fellow bloggers.

Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment