Monday, March 10, 2014

Spot A Mom: The 1-800-Flowers.com Way



The countdown continues, two months until graduation. I think I’m at the “let’s embrace this because I can’t change a single thing,” mindset. Talk to me next week and my response may be different. It never fails that each year graduation at Northern is on Mother’s Day. I’m not sure how I feel about making my family celebrate my graduation the one day out of the year mothers are really suppose to get pampered. So picturing graduation day got me thinking...what should I get my mom for mother’s day? I don’t want to get her the average card or candy or even flowers. Something more substantial is what I want to give to the woman who has cared for me my whole life.

This thought continued as I was reading Chapter 8 of Branded. Ironically so, the chapter is about 1-800-Flowers.com and their marketing and communication strategies. But remember, I don’t want to get my mom just anything for Mother’s Day, including flowers.

While reading the chapter, I couldn’t find an angle to write my blog. Yes, 1-800-Flowers.com is a booming business that has been on the cutting edge of technology and social media, but I didn’t want to write about that again. It wasn’t until page 159 (12 pages into the 17 page chapter) that I finally found something worthwhile to write. What topic did I choose? 1-800-Flowers.com’s successful contest named “Spot A Mom.” You bet your bottom dollar that the section was dedicated to mothers and Mother’s Day. Perfect timing don’t you think?

Anyways, the social contest is genius. Starting in 2009, customers could log onto a special website and submit  and share “imaginative and passionate lessons they’ve learned,” from their mothers “for the chance to honor mom and win her a dream vacation,” (p. 160). Stories about grandmothers, sisters, friends, etc. (anyone who is a special mom) could be entered into the contest. One lucky winner is awarded every year with a vacation for four to Hawaii and a year’s supply of flowers. The contest is pretty interesting and intriguing, but my favorite aspect comes after the winner is chosen.


CEO Jim McCann published a book called Celebrating Mom after one of the contests. The book contained “customer’s heartwarming stories and real-life accounts based on lessons learned from mom,” (p. 160). This gesture gives proof that McCann personally follows the 1-800-Flowers.com saying, “Build a relationship first, do business second,” (p. 147). Writing the book provides mothers across the country to feel special. This shows the caring, loving side of 1-800-Flowers.com.


Entering a story about a lesson my mom has taught me would definitely go above and beyond the average Mother’s Day gift. Even if my entry doesn’t win, there’s a chance her name would be published in a book about amazing mothers. Good daughter of the year award would have to go to me, right?

1-800-Flowers.com has not only created a relationship with their customers, but they’ve made their customers feel like family. On top of this, it has all been done via the internet. Need to make someone feel special online? Just ask 1-800-Flowers.com for some tips and tricks.

On a side note, McCann was featured on the hit television show, Undercover Boss. Check out the full video below to see how he interacted with his employees and what they taught him about this company.


No comments:

Post a Comment